Special Announcement

Posted March 19, 2020

Coronavirus Information for Public

In an effort to curtail the spread of the Covid-19 virus, the Superior Court of Kings County, will continue to provide Self-Help and Family Law Facilitator (FLF) services in person. However, Self Help and FLF staff will be providing services inside the Court’s Lobby at the Civil Service Windows. Only one (1) person per Staff member at a time will be allowed entrance into the Court’s Lobby. This will provide the recommended six (6) feet social distance space required between people. Court users will also be able to call in to the Self-Help Center to get questions answered and to be provided information regarding online services.

File at Home

File through an online guided interview process.

Start Filing Online

Posted: March 24, 2020
To assist self-represented litigants during this time of shutdown, the below links are available to help self-represented litigants complete forms for the following essential functions:
Restraining Orders Triage
Domestic Violence Restraining Order Request
Elder Abuse

Centro de Ayuda

  • Haga clic aquí para ver este sitio en español.

Self Help

Kings's Self-Help Center & Family Law Facilitator

Notice: Available No-Cost Family Law Workshops

Notice: Change of Self-Help Center Hours of Operation

Notice: Children in the Self-Help Center Area

Services Provided:

Family Law Facilitator/Self Help will guide, direct, and assist with the following cases: Divorce, Legal separation, Establish paternity, Modify child custody and visitation orders, Modify child and spousal support orders, Civil Harassment restraining orders, Guardianships (person only), Name changes and non complex civil actions.

Visiting the Family Law Facilitator

A Family Law Facilitator is an attorney appointed by the Court to assist parents in resolving child support, and health insurance issues that arise when the parents separate. Although the Facilitator can help everyone, priority is given to those parents who cannot afford to hire an attorney. If the Facilitator has time, they can help with other family law problems the parents may have.

The Facilitator CAN: explain the Court process to you, mediate disputes about child custody and spousal support, step parent adoptions, guardianships, name changes, help you prepare for Court, refer you to the Family Support Division and other community resources, answer other family law questions that you may have and provide you with information on how to handle the important issues of child support, spousal support, paternity, custody and visitation.

The Facilitator CANNOT: represent you in Court or give you legal advice regarding your particular case.

For your meeting with the Facilitator, you must bring:

  • A copy of any Court documents relating to your case
  • Income and expense information
  • Your last three paycheck stubs, or AFDC invoice
  • A copy of your last tax return

Upon arrival, you will be asked to fill in an Intake Form. If you need to fill out forms to proceed with your case, you may obtain these from the Facilitator. The Facilitator has instructional material that will show you how to fill out these forms.

If you need legal advice, the Facilitator will assist you in finding an attorney to help you.

Contact Information

Kings County Superior Court
Self-Help Center / Family Law Facilitator

1640 Kings County Drive
Hanford, CA 93230

Phone: 559-582-1010 ext. 6029

Hours of Operation:

Monday - Friday:
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.