Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Request a fine reduction for your eligible infraction offense using the new MyCitations tool.

Child Custody Recommending Counselor

Child Custody Recommending Counseling: Focusing on Children's Needs

When parents separate or divorce, decisions need to be made about custody, visitation and how children will share time with their parents. These are important decisions. Sometimes they are the most difficult. California law states that when parents cannot reach an agreement, they must first meet with a professional mediator (Child Custody Recommending Counselor) before their hearing.

Online Orientation for Child Custody Recommending Counseling (CCRC)

Please Note: Kings County does not provide an on-site CCRC Orientation.

You are required to attend the online CCRC orientation that will explain terms used in court and CCRC. You may access online orientation by clicking the link below. You may access online orientation on your computer, smart phone, tablet or other device. This 30-minute video will explain the process and terms used in child custody recommending counseling and prepare you to make the most of your appointment. Subtitles can be accessed in Spanish by going to settings and selecting Spanish language from the menu.

Orientation to Family Court Mediation and Child Custody Recommending Counseling Video

Goals of Child Custody Recommending Counseling

  1. To help parents create a parenting plan that is in the best interests of their child(ren).
  2. To help parents develop a parenting plan that enables their child(ren) to have contact with parents in ways that are appropriate for the safety and wellbeing of the child(ren).
  3. Help parents learn to co-parent.
  4. When parents do not agree, we make recommendations to the parents and the court that are in the child(ren)'s best interest.

Setting a Date for Child Custody Recommending Counseling

The date and time for child custody recommending counseling will be set by the court. At your CCRC appointment, you will be given a brief questionnaire requesting information about you, your children, your concerns, your proposals, and other pertinent information.

If you live more than 120 miles away from the courthouse or have a documented medical condition that prohibits you from traveling, please let the Judge know and you may request Telephonic Appearance at Child Custody Recommending Counseling.

Information Regarding Mediation/Child Custody Recommending Counseling (CCRC)

Where do I go for CCRC?

Family Court Services (FCS) is located on the first floor of the courthouse, in office number 118 and across from Jury Assembly. A CCRC will meet you in the waiting room at the time of your appointment.

The Child Custody Recommending Counselor does not accept any documents. All documents to be seen by the CCRC must be correctly filed in the court file ten (10) days before your scheduled CCRC appointment.

To avoid a missed appointment fees, please be on time for your appointment. If a parent arrives late or brings their child(ren), they may not be seen. Kindly give Family Court Services 48-hours’ notice if you will not be attending your scheduled appointment. Please call (559) 582-1010 x6023 to cancel your appointment. There is a $200.00 ($100.00 per parent, if both do not appear) missed appointment fee if Family Court Services is not contacted 48-hours in advance to cancel their appointment. If the parents reach an agreement or file a Stipulated Agreement prior to the CCRC appointment, to avoid a missed appointment fees, one parent or an attorney must call Family Court Services 48-hours prior to the CCRC appointment to cancel the appointment.

If the parties have participated in Formal Child Custody Recommending Counseling (CCRC) with Family Court Services within the previous 12-months, there is a $200.00 Review CCRC fee for parties to participate in Immediate or Formal CCRC. Unless otherwise ordered, each parent shall pay 50% ($100.00 per parent) of the cost of the Review fees before their appointment.

Who should I bring to attend the CCRC session?

Do not bring your child(ren), friends, relative, spouse, significant others… with you to the appointment. Child Custody Recommending Counseling is just for the parents. Only parents to the case may go to Family Court Services except for certain situations when there is a Domestic Violence Restraining or Criminal Protective Order. The parents can have a silent support person with them in session.

If the children don’t go to CCRC, how will the child(ren)’s wishes and needs be considered?

Their wishes and needs will be considered by you, the other parent(s) and the Child Custody Recommending Counselor (CCRC). The parents are the people who know your child(ren) best, and they are the best people to determine what your child(ren)’s living arrangements should be. As you work with the CCRC, the CCRC will help you understand the choices available to parents, arrangements that often work well for children your child(ren)’s ages, what children need as their parents are separating, and how parents can best meet these needs. The CCRC will help you and the other parent address your parenting concerns and focus on what you each parent believes is best for the child(ren).

My child wants to talk with the judge or the CCRC. Should I bring them to court for the hearing?

No. If you believe your child(ren) wishes to speak with the judge, then explain that in your court paperwork or to the Child Custody Recommending Counselor. Do not bring your child(ren) to court or to CCRC unless a judge or a commissioner specifically tells you, or the CCRC has requested that you bring them to Family Court Services for a minor interview appointment. There is a $200.00 Minor Interview fee to interview the child(ren) in Family Law Cases. Unless otherwise ordered, each parent shall pay 50% ($100.00 per parent) of the cost for of the Minor Interview fees before the Minor Interview Appointment.

What if the other parent doesn’t go to the CCRC appointment that was given to us in court?

Keep your court date. When you return to court, then the judge/commissioner will decide what should happen next.

Additional Resources Regarding Custody and Parenting Services

For further information, including a free parent education course, and additional resources to help families understand the divorce and separation process, please see these links:

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.