Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Request a fine reduction for your eligible infraction offense using the new MyCitations tool.


The Kings County Superior Court, Juvenile Divisions handle cases which involve children under the age of 18 years old who are accused of violating the law or who are, or in danger of, being abused, neglected or inadequately cared for.

Types of Cases Heard by The Juvenile Court

Delinquency Cases

The delinquency calendar hears cases which are filed against a person under the age of 18 years old, referred to as a minor, alleging they committed a crime which, if committed by an adult, would be considered a criminal offense.

Delinquency cases, sometimes referred to as juvenile justice cases, are filed under Welfare and Institutions Code Section 602 with the purpose of protecting the community from minors who display delinquent behavior. These minors will receive care, treatment, and guidance that is consistent with their best interest while holding them accountable for their behavior in a method that is appropriate based on their circumstances. The juvenile court may have jurisdiction over a youth until they reach the age of 18 and may be extended until their 21st birthday. In certain cases, jurisdiction may be extended until the youth reaches the age of 25 years old. Under Proposition 57, cases that involve serious or violent felonies may be heard before a juvenile judge to determine if the minor is amendable to juvenile services for rehabilitation or if the minor should be transferred to criminal court and be tried as an adult.

For more information relating to juvenile delinquency cases, click here.

Information Related to your child being detained may be found on the Judicial Council Website in form JV-060-INFO Juvenile Justice Court Information for Parents.

Dependency Cases

The dependency calendar hears cases involving children who have allegedly, or are in danger of, being abused, neglected, or inadequately cared for.

Dependency cases are filed under Welfare and Institutions Code Section 300 with the purpose of securing the safety and well-being of children. Although the court attempts to keep children with their families, the law requires the juvenile dependency court to consider the safety and welfare of the children to ensure they are protected. If the court removes a child from their home, it is for the safety and protection of the child and the court will work with the family through a process called “Family Reunification” to improve their circumstances so the child can safely be returned home. If the concerns brought before the court are not serious enough to remove the child from the home, the court will work with the families through a process called “Family Maintenance” to provide them tools and resources to become a stronger family.

For more information relating to juvenile dependency cases, click here.

Information related to your child being detained may be found on the Judicial Council Website in form JV-050-INFO What happens if your child is taken from your home?

Transfer In Hearings

As required by California Rules of Court, Rule 5.610(f)(2), below is up-to-date contact information for the Kings County Juvenile Court Clerk’s office, as well as the location and time of hearing for both Dependency and Delinquency matters.

Should you need further information, please contact the Juvenile Court Clerk’s office at (559) 582-1010 x6125 or (559) 582-1010 x6155

Kings County Superior Court

1640 Kings County Drive

Hanford, CA 92320

Juvenile Delinquency / Dependency Cases

Department 1

Monday through Friday, at 8:15am (Excluding holidays)

Juvenile Court Confidentiality

Juvenile hearings and records are confidential and only persons authorized under Welfare and Institutions Code Sections 676 and 827 and California Rules of Court, Rule 5.552 are allowed to attend hearings and access records.

See JUVENILE COURT RECORDS AND COPIES for additional information on viewing a juvenile record or obtaining copies.

Juvenile Court Records and Copies

Persons authorized under Welfare and Institutions Code Sections 676 and 827 and California Rules of Court, Rule 5.552 are allowed to view juvenile records. To schedule an appointment to view your file or request copies, contact the clerk’s office at (559) 582-1010 x6125 or (559) 582-1010 x6155. It is recommended you contact the clerk's office prior to appearing at the clerk’s window to confirm the file is on site. You must have valid photo identification to confirm you are an authorized person. Information will not be provided over the phone or mailed. Please be aware the court clerk will not have information related to cases that have been ordered sealed. There is no charge for copies of juvenile records provided to persons authorized under the statue.

Other individuals not authorized by the statue may file a JV-570 Petition for Disclosure of Juvenile Case File and a juvenile judge will grant or deny your request.

Sealing Juvenile Records

Minors who successfully completed a formal or informal supervision program through probation for certain offenses on or after January 1, 2015 will automatically have their record dismissed and sealed under Welfare and Institutions Code Section 786.
Other persons may petition the court to have their record sealed under Welfare and Institutions Code Section 781. For more information on this process, contact the Kings County Probation Department, Juvenile Services Division at (559) 852-2850.

More information on sealing your juvenile record may be found on form JV-595-INFO How to Ask the Court to Seal Your Records and/or JV-596-INFO Sealing of Records for Satisfactory Completion of Probation or by visiting the Judicial Council Website.

Financial Responsibility


You may be held accountable for court ordered restitution. Restitution is to compensate the victim for the damage or losses caused by your child’s behavior. For information regarding probation fines, fees, or restitution, please contact Kings County Probation Department at (559) 852-2850.


Under Welfare and Institutions Code Section 903.47, the Judicial Council of California established the Juvenile Dependency Counsel Collections Program (JDCCP) to collect reimbursement from those liable for the costs in a dependency proceeding. Eligible costs are limited by statue to the cost of determining the responsible person’s ability to repay the cost of court-appointed counsel.

Justice Partner Resource

Child Welfare Services

(559) 582-3241

Probation - Juvenile Services

(559) 852-2850

Probation - Accounting Services

(559) 852-2850

Juvenile Detention Facility

(559) 852-2970

District Attorney

(559) 852-2392

County Counsel

(559) 852-2445

Minors Advocate

(559) 852-4576

Center for Families & Children

The Judicial Council of California, Center for Families, Children & the Courts (CFCC) works to improve court proceedings and outcomes for children, youth, families, and victims involved in juvenile delinquency and dependency proceedings. The CFCC has undertaken a number of initiatives to assist courts in implementing access and comprehension improvement, including working directly with users and other stakeholders to identify necessary court reforms and developing educations materials for court users. For more information related to the CFCC, visit their website here.

Dress Code

Individuals who are not dressed appropriately or not in accordance with Kings County’s Local Rules of Court will not be allowed inside the courtroom. The following garments are not permitted:

  • Shorts
  • Tank tops
  • Halter tops or bare midriffs
  • Mini-skirts
  • Hats
  • Bare feet
  • Clothing with emblems that condone illegal or inappropriate activity
  • Gang-related clothing

Chewing gum is not allowed in the courtroom.


All persons entering a Kings County court facility are subject to search by court security and no camera or other recording devices are permitted. For additional general information, please refer to the Kings County Local Rules of Court.

Frequently Asked Questions

If the police report involves an underage child, a JV-575 Petition to Obtain Report of Law Enforcement Agency must be submitted to the juvenile court.

In Kings County emancipations are filed in the Civil Division of the Kings County Superior Court. Contact their department for more information on this process.

Depending on the stage of the case and the specific request, form JV-180 Request to Change Court Order may be used.

Please contact your attorney prior to filing this request to ensure this is the correct procedure. If you do not know who your attorney is, you may contact the clerk’s office at (559) 582-1010 x6155 (Juvenile Dependency).

If you are going to be late for a court appearance, contact your attorney immediately.

If you failed to appear and a warrant was issued, you may place yourself back on calendar. Contact your attorney for information on how to place yourself on calendar.

Yes, a parent or legal guardian must appear with their child for court hearings. If your child is detained in juvenile hall, the judge may not release them from custody without a parent or legal guardian present.

No, once your record is ordered sealed, the law treats those offenses as if they did not occur and your juvenile record cannot be considered in most cases. There are exceptions to this rule if you are applying for a federal position, in a health care setting, or to become a peace officer. The military may also require you to provide information relating to your juvenile record even if it has been sealed.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.