General Information
Fees & Forms
Local Rules
Court RFQs & RFPs
News and Media
Employment Opportunities
Court Locations
Site Map
Glossary of Legal Terms
Family & Children
Family Law Facilitator/Self Help
Jury Services
Landlord / Tenants
Restraining Orders
Small Claims
Grand Jury
Security Screening
Related Links

Suspensions and or Penalties


License suspension

Failure to Appear

Failure to Pay

Civil Assessment

Warrant - Under Construction

Return to the Traffic Main Page

To access any of the links highlighted in blue that are found on this page, you will need version 5.0 (or higher) of the free
 Adobe Acrobat Reader 

License Suspension

 Your driverís license can be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles for a variety of reasons, some of which are:


  • Failing to appear at a scheduled Arraignment or other hearing
  • Failing to pay a fine
  • Failing to correct a violation
  • Failing to pay child support


If the court requested the Department of Motor Vehicles to place a hold on your driverís license, you may contact any of the following courts for information.


Avenal Division

501 E. Kings Street

Avenal, CA 93204

(559) 582-1010 x4094

Corcoran Division

1000 Chittenden Avenue

Corcoran, CA 93212

(559) 582-1010 x3004

Hanford Division

1426 South Drive, Bldg A

Hanford, CA 93230

(559) 582-1010

extension 3054



If a hold was placed on your license due to a child support issue, you must contact the

Kings County Department of Child Support Services

Mailing address: P.O. 1289, Hanford, CA 93232 or you may appear in person at the office located at 525 West Third St, Hanford, CA 93230 or contact them by phone at (559) 584-1425.

Failure to Appear

Failure to appear at your scheduled court appearance may result in one or more of the following:

  • A $300.00 Civil Assessment may be imposed and your case referred to collections
  • A warrant may be issued for your arrest
  • A hold may be placed on your driverís license
  • You may be tried in absentia (in your absence)

Failure to Pay

Failure to pay a court fine may result in one of the following:

  • A $300.00 Civil Assessment may be imposed and your case referred to collections
  • A warrant may be issued for your arrest
  • A hold may be placed on your driverís license

Civil Assessment

Pursuant to Penal Code 1214.1, ďÖthe court may impose a civil assessment of up to $300.00 against any defendant who fails, after notice and without good cause to appear in court for any proceeding authorized by law or who fails to pay all or any portion of a fine ordered by the court.Ē If you wish to view any of the Penal Codes, they are available through the California Law web site located at www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html. Then, follow the directions for finding the code(s) you are interested in.

Acceptable good cause is defined as written proof of medical incapacitation, hospitalization, incarceration or out of state military duty.  Proof must be verifiable and written on appropriate letterhead stationery.

Failure to respond within 15 days of a Civil Assessment notice will result in the entry of a $300.00 civil judgment and referral to collections.  A request will also be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles to suspend your driverís license based on your failure to appear.

For information as to cases referred to collections please contact the collection agency GC Services at 1-800-333-8395.  All arrangements for payments must be made directly with the collection agency.  Court clerical staff cannot address issues regarding cases referred to collections.



Superior Court of California, Kings County
All contents copyright (C) 2003, All rights reserved.